Produced by Swazzle
Script by: Rick Cummins & John Scoullar
Original Music: Rick Cummins
Based on Bristol Riverside Theatre's production
All grown-ups were children once, although few of us remember the wonderment of childhood. This astonishing and beautiful tale will remind you! A pilot crashes in the Sahara desert and while frantically trying to repair his wrecked plane he is interrupted by the apparition of a little boy who asks him to draw a sheep. As absurd as it seems, a thousand miles from all inhabited regions and in danger of death, he takes out a scrap of paper and a pen. And so begins their adventure.
This iconic masterpeice is a tale for all ages, about understanding how to laugh, love and cry again. Inventive puppets, live actors, original music and magnificent set design to bring to life the heart-warming story of the Little Prince who gains rare and unique insights into love, loss and laughter. This Little Prince is a multi-layered visual feast to awaken the child tucked away inside us all.
The Little Prince, by Antione de St. Exupery, is one of the most beloved books of all time. Written in 1943 it has sold over 150 million copies in almost 300 languages. Its impact is seen around the universe, from two asteroids and one moon named for its characters to a Japanese Little Prince museum and a South Korean Little Prince sculpture garden. It has been the inspiration for operas, symphonies, musicals, plays, movies, television shows and cartoons. In the Fall of 2016, the Paramount Pictures animated feature film of The Little Prince will be released in the United States on Netflix, featuring a stellar "star" cast including Rachel McAdams, James Franco, Marion Cotillard, Paul Giamatti and Ricky Gervais among othe renown actors and music by Hans Zimmer.
The book is based on St. Exupery’s life as an aviator before and during World War II and his relationship with his wife, Consuelo, represented by The Rose. Masquerading as a children’s story, the novella is filled with wise observations about love and life.
Founded in 2004 by twin brothers Sean and Patrick Johnson, Swazzle is a Glendale-based company specializing in puppetry for film, television and the stage. Together with their troupe of professional puppeteers, they have performed hundreds of shows in venues across California. In addition to their repertoire of original puppet productions, Swazzle has created puppets for The Pee-wee Herman Show on Broadway, Disney Theatrical and kids’ musician Riff Rockit. Their production of DREAMCARVER tour the U.S, in the 2013-15 seasons.
Producer Patrick Johnson, Producer/Director Sean Johnson
Twin brothers Sean and Patrick Johnson have been producing live puppet productions for family audiences for nearly 20 years. They collaborate on every aspect of the creative process, from designing and building to performing and directing.
Sean and Patrick have puppeteered on the Disney feature films The Muppets and Muppets Most Wanted, a special holiday episode of The Simpsons featuring guest star Katy Perry, Ben Folds Five’s Fraggle-starring music video, and numerous other TV shows and movies. They have also trained puppeteers at the Jim Henson Company and built puppets for Jim Henson’s Creature Shop.
Language Arts · Literature · Performing Arts · English · French · Reading · Theater - Improvisation · Dramatic/Creative writing · Creative Writing as storytelling with a focus on the concepts of imagination, creativity, and problem-solving
PUBLIC AUDIENCE: All Ages
SCHOOL TIME AUDIENCE: Grades 4-7; Ages 10-13
- First published in April 1943.
- Translated into more than 270 languages (including Braille), making it one of the most translated non-religious books in the world.
- Boasts 400 million readers worldwide; more than 150 million copies sold-making it one of the best-selling books of the modern era.
- In the Fall of 2016, Paramount Pictures Animated Feature Film will be released in the U.S via Netflix. Debuted at Cannes Film Festival on May 22, 2015. World-wide distribution. With stellar “star” cast including Rachel McAdams, Paul Rudd, James Franco, Marion Cotillard, Paul Giamatti and Ricky Gervais among other renown actors. Music by Hans Zimmer.
- Its impact is seen around the universe, from two asteroids and one moon named for its characters to a Japanese Little Prince museum and a South Korean Little Prince sculpture garden. The novella has been adapted to numerous art forms and media, including audio recordings,radio plays, live stage, film screen, television, ballet, and operatic works.
- Off-Broadway production debuted at The New Victory Theatre on October 1, 2011.